Enzymes are the secretions in a living body which helps in accelerating the chemical reactions. Enzymes mainly help in metabolism and digestion of food. Enzymes act as a catalyst during a chemical reaction.
Hormones are produced by many glands which are transferred to the organs for performing various tasks. Hormones are used to regulate physiology and behavioral traits. Some of the differences between hormone and enzyme have been discussed here.
- Enzymes help in reactions at the same place where they are produced whereas hormones are taken away by blood to other organs where they are needed.
- Enzymes act as catalyst whereas hormones start a biochemical reaction.
- Enzymes are proteins whereas hormones can be polypeptides, terpenoids, steroids, etc.
- Enzymes remain unchanged at the end of a reaction whereas the chemical composition of hormones are changed.
- The molecular weight of enzymes is greater than hormones.
- Enzymes cannot pass through cell whereas hormones can.
- The concentration of enzymes increases the speed of a reaction. Under or over production of hormones can lead to various diseases.